Step Up to Law Enforcement – NEW! Boot Camp
Step Up to Law Enforcement Full Course—expected Fall 2013
Step Up to Law Enforcement is a nine-week pre-Academy training program to prepare qualified female candidates for the Vermont Police Academy and/or careers with the Vermont Department of Corrections. Participants who successfully complete the program are supported as they apply to local police departments, the Vermont State Police and/or the Vermont Department of Corrections. New hires attend residential training at the Vermont Police Academy in Pittsford or the Department of Corrections Academy in Waterbury, as paid employees of their departments.
Step Up to Law Enforcement is the first pre-Academy law enforcement education and training program for women in the United States. The program represents a unique collaboration between law enforcement agencies and Vermont Works for Women. The program’s genesis began when a local police chief, eager to hire qualified female officers, approached VWW to explore working together. That initial contact led to the creation of a working group with representatives from various law enforcement agencies, an outside consultant, and VWW staff. The working group researched training models, developed curriculum, secured funding, and allocated staff to teach and administer the program.
This intensive and comprehensive program offers participants:
- Physical fitness training and testing which mirrors the Police Academy entrance requirements.
- Instruction in law enforcement related topics such as firearms, use of force and advanced communications techniques.
- Job readiness skills specifically tailored for law enforcement such as CPR, first aid, self defense and resume/cover letter/ interview preparation.
Additionally, program graduates receive ongoing one-on-one support from VWW in the form of phone calls, emails, and personal meetings. VWW maintains an online Job Bank updated weekly, which lists law enforcement jobs currently under recruitment. Program graduates who are hired are contacted periodically to support retention and career building.
For more information on the next Step Up to Law Enforcement program contact Nance Nahmias at 802.655.8900, ext 507.
The 2011 Step Up to Law Enforcement Program was made possible through the following agencies and organizations:
- Barre, Burlington, Essex, Montpelier, South Burlington, Colchester, Hinesburg and Winooski Police Departments
- The Vermont Department of Labor
- Orange County Sheriff’s Office
- University of Vermont Department of Police Services
- Vermont Criminal Justice Training Council
- Vermont Department of Corrections
- Vermont State Police
- VSAC Non-Degree Grant