Vermont Women’s Mentoring Program
Are you a good listener?
A compassionate presence?
A woman willing to support a woman transitioning from incarceration?
Learn more about the Vermont Women’s Mentoring Program in this video:
2015 Mentor Training Schedule:
Attendance at a four-week orientation/training program is required for all prospective mentors. Trainings occur at Mercy Connections, 255 South Champlain Street, Suite 8, Burlington, VT. Join us at our upcoming training sessions:
- Wednesday, Oct. 7 – Orientation to the Mentoring Program ♦ 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Oct. 21 – Getting to Know the Women ♦ 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Wednesday, Nov. 4 – The Impact of Trauma, Mental Health and Addiction ♦ 5:30-7:30 p.m.
- Monday, Nov. 9 – Becoming a Mentor ♦ 5:30-7:30 p.m.
The Vermont Women’s Mentoring Program:
- Matches volunteer, trained mentors with women transitioning out of prison
- Fosters supportive community for mentees, promoting healthy lifestyle activities and reducing isolation
- Is a partnership between Mercy Connections, Vermont Works for Women and the Vermont Department of Corrections
A mentor’s commitment includes:
- A 12-month timeframe
- Twelve hours of orientation and training before mentoring begins
- A mentoring relationship that begins before or just after release from prison
- Regular phone check-ins & weekly meetings during the first month of release
- Periodic calls and meetings over the next 10-12 months
- Attendance at monthly support groups with other mentors to share successes & strategies
- Attendance at quarterly social gatherings with mentors & mentees
Common profile of a mentee:
- Most jailed women in Vermont have committed low-level crimes related to their addictions
- Many are serving sentences of six months or less
- 90 percent have been victims of trauma, domestic violence, and have a history of substance abuse
- 80 percent are mothers
- 70 percent have high school diplomas
- The majority are friendly, creative & determined to change their lives!
For more information, please contact:
- Pam Greene, Mentor Coordinator, 802.846.7164, [email protected]
- Julie Lowell, Mentee Coordinator, 802.881.6125, [email protected]