Step Up to Construction – Boot Camp
June 18, 19, 20 & 25, 26, 27
9 am – 5 pm
40-hour class total ♦ Windham Regional Career Center, 80 Atwood Street, Brattleboro
Here’s our flyer for spreading the word!
Step Up to Construction – Boot Camp, offered for the first time in Southern Vermont, is a 40-hour training program for women interested in pursuing careers in residential and commercial construction. This boot camp – developed in collaboration with employer partners (listed below) – will provide a solid overview of the knowledge and skills needed to pursue future employment in the building trades.
Components of the boot camp include:
- Intro to applied construction math – measuring & cutting materials to size
- Intro to blueprint reading
- Intro to hand and power tools
- Materials identification
- Framing and laying out a wall
- Concrete form work
- OSHA 10 – Basic Safety certification
- Exposure to local professionals & employers
- Job shadowing at a local construction site
- Job readiness skill-building– communication, teamwork & women in non-traditional fields
- Beginner tool belt for those who complete the program!
To apply: Interested candidates are encouraged to apply as soon as possible.
Cost: $350 fee; scholarships are available.
For more information: Andi Waisman, 802.380.1367, firstname.lastname@example.org
2014 Sponsorship: This program is made possible through funding from a Wider Opportunities for Women grant (funded by the Walmart Foundation)
Our employer partners include: